Brits May Face Problems Entering Cyprus Post-Brexit

North Cyprus News - Larnaca AirportBritish citizens who live in North Cyprus could potentially face difficulties if travelling via Larnaca or Paphos, a UK government advisory on Brexit says.

The Greek Cypriot-controlled Republic of Cyprus does not recognise the TRNC. It regards anyone who has entered the island via North Cyprus as having used an “illegal port of entry” and reserves the right to prosecute travellers.

In practice Greek Cypriot immigration officers do not take action against citizens of EU countries, as the whole of the island has been deemed to be part of the EU since 2004.

However, some non-EU nationals have been prevented from entering Cyprus via the South if they stated that they intended to stay at hotels in the TRNC which were formerly owned by Greek Cypriots. They also face deportation if they entered via Ercan.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice says:

“If there’s no deal, the European Commission has proposed that British citizens would not need a visa for short stays in the EU, including Cyprus”.

“You would be able to stay in Cyprus for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.”

“The Republic of Cyprus does not recognise the self-declared ‘Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus’ in the north of Cyprus, nor residence permits issued by the administration there. After Brexit, the Republic of Cyprus intends to treat UK visitors, including those travelling to or from the north, as other non-EU nationals for visa purposes, unless they are registered as resident in the Republic.

“The current practice in the Republic is for non-EU nationals who do not require a visa to be admitted for 90 days, and for passports to be stamped accordingly. If that happens, the Republic of Cyprus authorities may count time spent in the north of Cyprus towards the 90 day visa free total. If you overstay, you may potentially face difficulties at the airport on exit or re-entry.

“If you’re intending to stay for longer than 90 days, or your stay would take you over the 90 days in the 180-day limit, you may need to get a visa before you travel.”

Other Stories

Ads Blocker Image Powered by Code Help Pro

Ad Blocker Detected

We have detected that you are using extensions to block ads. Please support us by whitelisting our website in your ad blocker.