The Turkish Cypriot Businesspeople’s Association (ISAD) held a protest at the Metehan/Agios Dometios border, demanding that the government facilitates crossing to and from North Cyprus.
Association President Enver Mamülcü said that all governments past and present, had disregarded the issue. In today’s economic climate, it is essential to promote business to develop the economy by making border crossings easier, he said.
In a declaration distributed to the Press, the association proposes the following measures:
- Increase the number of staff at check-points and shorten the duration of shifts.
- Double the current number of lanes and complete the soonest possible the infrastructure.
- Open new crossing points in Nicosia and especially in Kaymakli and Caglayan districts for vehicles and also open new crossing points in Beyarmudu (Pergamos) and Famagusta.
- Implement a Fast Truck card that would work under the supervision of the United Nations and will include both people in the north and the south in order to facilitate speedy crossings.
- Provide legal facilities on issues related to military service and overnight staying at immigration registry.
- Develop technology infrastructure and implement crossing systems which are used worldwide.