“We are ready to face Turkey’s threats and plans for illegal drilling in Cyprus’ Exclusive Economic Zone, as we have done so far, in an effective and cool manner,” Deputy Government Spokesman Victoras Papadopoulos said on Tuesday. Turkey has announced that it intends to send a drilling ship to Bloc 6 of the south’s declared EEZ by issuing a Navtex (Notice to Mariners). Some of the blocs in the south’s EEZ are part of a territorial dispute. Turkey says that part of the zone belongs to its own continental shelf.
Papadopoulos said that the south’s government will exercise its sovereign rights as it has done to date, and at the same time it will continue its effective policy. He also said that it will protest Turkey’s Navtex.
After Turkish President Erdogan’s visit to Greece, Erdogan accepted tentative meetings between Greece and Turkey with regard to the international aspect of the Cyprus problem, Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Kotzias said.
The deputy spokesman said that at the General Assembly last September, President Anastasiades, made it clear to the UN Secretary-General that he was ready to continue negotiations to reunify the island. He added that in order to get results, all parties should be well prepared before holding another conference on Cyprus.
The south is working in tandem with the Greek government and are fully agreed on how to achieve this end, he noted.
The last round of negotiations, held in Switzerland in July, ended in deadlock over issues of security and guarantees for the island.