Turkey has made proposals regarding security and guarantees, which include preserving the guarantees for the island, at the first meeting in the Cyprus Conference in Switzerland on Wednesday. Greek Foreign Minister Nicos Kotzias had proposed to abolish the guarantor system for the island..
The Greek National Council is trying to decide what to do at today’s meeting of the Cyprus Conference in Crans-Montana, in the face of Turkey’s proposals. Greek Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades said that “Turkey’s proposal did not satisfy us.”
The recommendation of Guarantor Turkey regarding the Guarantees is as follows;
1) The existing Guarantee Agreement will be revised according to the new federal structure which will be based on the equality of the Turkish and Greek Cypriot founding states.
2) A number of soldiers will be withdrawn on the first day when the agreement in this framework is approved in the referendum and comes into force.
3) A monitoring committee will be established. The committee will have three guarantors and two members from the CYPRUS Turkish and CYPRUS Greek Cypriot constituent states and two from the federal state.
4) The functioning of the federal constitution and constitutional state constitutions shall be guaranteed.
5) If everything goes smoothly, the number of remaining soldiers on the island will be re-audited by 3 guarantor countries.
Meanwhile, the Spokesmand for the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ambassador Hussein Müftüoğlu, who is attending the conference has denied allegations that 80 percent of the troops will be pulled out of Cyprus. He said that the allegation made by a Turkish Cypriot correspondent was incorrect.
President Mustafa Akinci made no comment on the subject after yesterday’s meeting.