A seventy year-old man who was remanded in custody on charges of taking photographs of a military base on behalf of a foreign country appeared at military court today.
Mehmet Besimoğlu was arrested on August 28 for taking photographs at the military unit in Famagusta Harbour.
Police officer Lieutenant Yücetürk noted that Besimoğlu had taken 223 photographs of the military unit, vehicles and personnel on 18 different dates between 2013 and 2018. The police officer said that local tradesmen and museum officials in Famagusta had stated that they had seen the suspect carrying a bag and taking photographs.
Yücetürk noted that the accused Mehmet Besimoğlu, had confessed that he had taken photographs of the military base at the request of a Greek Cypriot.
Police officer Lieutenant Yücetürk reminded that the suspect’s home in Tuzla had been searched and mobile phones, digital cameras and an iPad had been found. Police also found the name and contact number of the Greek Cypriot agent.
Furthermore it was discovered that Besimoğlu had received a number of payments to his bank account from a Greek Cypriot bank. He admitted that the Greek Cypriot agent had asked him to take photographs of the military base and of the old ruined churches in Famagusta.
Besimoğlu said that he would deliver the photographs every two to three months to be paid between 200 and 300 euros each time.
The suspect, who spoke in court, said, “I have been under arrest for 11 days. I cannot cope with this any longer. I am sick. I need to go to hospital”.
Judge Murat Soytaç stressed the seriousness and gravity of the crime and ordered Besimoğlu to remain in custody for a further seven days in order for investigations to continue.
Soytaç also ordered that Besimoglu be examined by a doctor immediately and his medical report be submitted to the court at the next hearing.