Turkish government says coup attempt is over – updated

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who arrived back in Istanbul from holiday in Marmaris, promised that he will remain in power, hours after an army faction attempted a coup on Friday evening.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told broadcaster NTV on Saturday that the situation in the country was “largely under control“.

So far, at least 90 have died across Turkey during the attempted coup and 1,563 military officers have been detained, the justice ministry has said.

At a press conference, Erdogan said the attempt to push him from power was “an act of treason” and that those behind the plot would “pay a heavy price“. He said he intended to stay with his “people” and not go anywhere.

Shortly after I left [Marmaris] I have been told they bombed the locations where I was,” he told reporters. “I assume they thought I was still there when they bombed those places.

The president, whom 52 percent of the people brought to power, is in charge,” Erdogan said. “This government brought to power by the people, is in charge. They won’t succeed as long as we stand against them by risking everything.”

Meanwhile, live footage showed dozens of soldiers involved in the coup surrendering on one of the bridges across the Bosphorus in Istanbul, abandoning their tanks with their hands raised in the air.

Clearly the cleansing of the military from those elements who joined or supported the coup is already under way,” Al Jazeera’s senior political analyst, Marwan Bishara, said.

This is going to continue for days to come, and I think there are probably going to be tribunals within the military to see who supported the coup.”

Early on Saturday morning, plumes of black smoke could be seen in Ankara, where jets had dropped bombs, over the Bestepe district, where the presidential palace is located.

There were also reports of an explosion at the parliament building in the capital.

Al Jazeera’s Ece Goksedef, reporting from Ankara on Saturday morning (9am local time, 06:00 GMT), said the city had been quiet for several hours.

Military jets were still in the sky above the capital, but there has been no sound of fighting, Goksedef said, adding that there were only a few locations in the country where the coup plotters were holding out.

Al Jazeera


161 people killed & 1,440 wounded in attempted military coup, Turkish PM Yildirim says.

Around 2,800 people have been arrested as Turkish PM says country is under control after attempted military coup.

Eight men who landed in Greece in a Turkish military helicopter have requested political asylum. (BBC News)

Other Stories